There are only a few places in Provo we want to eat but have not. One that was on our list was "Sammy's Burgers and Fries." Sammy's is just off of Center Street in downtown Provo. We live close enough to walk.
From the outside, Sammy's looks like it might not actually have any seating inside. Like it could be a walk-up-only place with a few tables outside for warmer months. But, deceptively, it has a large bar inside (I mean a bar-table, they didn't appear to serve alcohol). The place is a complete hole-in-the-wall. It is the kind of place you would expect to find in a downtown and was completly charming. There speciality is "real pie" shakes. More on that later.
I ordered a Cowabunga burger. Pastrami with mushrooms on a burger. To cut to the chase - it was really good. For a place that serves you on styrafoam, they really knocked the burger out of the park. I knew I was in for something with the Chef came out and had a little chat with us. Then I saw the absolute care he used to apply the condiments. I'm not kidding. The ketchup, ranch, and mustard were applied in a cross-hatch pattern in perfectly uniform zig-zags.
The fresh ingredients, perfect pastrami, and fabulously toasted bun were more than enough to cover up what I thought to be a mediocre beef patty. The burger as a whole was slow-down-and-close-the-eyes-while-you-chew good. And the fries? Better than Brownstone. Battered, light, crisp, delicious. Their version of "fry sauce" was a little lacking, but these fries were fine naked.
Prices were a little steep. About $6 for the burger, another $2.50 for fries, $1.50 for the drink, and a whopping $4 for our Real Pie Shake. The Shake was really good, for the record.
I don't know if I can decide between Sammy's and Snakebite. Snakebit does give you silverware, so if you are impressing a date. . . . In the end, you don't have to decide, though. One is in Provo and the other Idaho Falls.
4 comments:
sounds great! If I ever make it to Provo before you leave we will have to go! I love the hole-in-the-wall places, they are always incredible!
What, no pictures?
No pictures. I'll go back sometime and snap one. Probably of a different burger.
Sounds yummy......but I miss Ali.
Post a Comment