Thursday, May 15, 2008

Clap. . . Clap. . . Clap (rises to feet).


Pictured above is the current bench-mark for Idaho Falls' burgers. Indeed, this may be the bench-mark for any burger I have had in the last year. It's from the Snakebite in downtown Idaho Falls and is called the Cowboy Burger.

The technical specs are simple enough; onionring, cheese, BBQ sauce, some other funky sauce and a piece of lettuce. Objectively, it doesn't look like anything special, but the beauty was in the execution. It was clear that this was not prepared by a "cook," but rather a Chef. And for about 8 bucks with fries, I thought it was even a good deal.

Let me elaborate. The obviously hand-formed beef patty was hot, juicy, and pink enough that I would have sent it back at a fast food place. Perfect. A single, large onion ring was used and a house specific BBQ sauce that was bold and spicey was applied judiciously. I think I am realizing that it is alot easier to describe a bad burger than a good one . . . there isn't much to say about this other than it was good. I am overcoming some sort of virus and have sores on the inside of my mouth -- even though they burned with each peppery bite, I gleefully forged on. The picture shows the bun, but probably doesn't do it justice. All of the ingredients were fresh and, I assume, mostly made on-site.

I was with my older brother, Rich, who ordered a different burger that had blue cheese. His beef was a little more done than mine, but I feel like I can confidently suggest to anyone in Idaho Falls that any of the Snakebite burgers will deliver a satisfying meal. Filling, tasty, not so greasy that it leaves you aching later. Unless you are counting calories, the ample helping of crisscut fries is also excellent. Again, these were really a thing of beauty. They were so light and crispy it was almost like eating a near perfect potato chip.

The only thing I would warn is that everything I tried had a bit of a peppery kick to it, even the fry sauce. I really enjoy it, but if you are spice-averse, you might be hurting toward the end of your meal. I look forward to trying their other burgers in the future.

(Side note: Perry, who is older than me but was on the high school debate team with me was working at the Snakebite. It would have been fun to chat, but I don't think he recognized/remembered me and I didn't want to bother him while he worked.)

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

the burger reviews ... so odd . . . really... nothing better to elaborate on?
While I do crave a good burger fortnightly ...I can't imagine wanting to write an editorial about the experience ... Also, I am surprised to find that the burger blog does not give detailed descriptions of how the reviewed burger is digested (any cramping, bloating, gasssss, difficulties or side effects the following morning, etc...)

Cori said...

We do the Snakebite a lot when we go home and always enjoy the food. I love their fries!

ALI - I know this isn't your post, and I don't want to hijack it from Brad (see on topic comment in above paragraph - sorry Brad) but EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! for everything fun happening!

Erjacksonic said...

Wow...I'm pretty sure Perry was working at Snakebite back when we were in high school.

Looks like a good burger. I should have sent you to the Greenhouse Grill while you were in Fayetteville. You wouldn't think an all organic diner could rock a burger, but their buffalo burger was insane. INSANE.

I request a review of the Big Judd.

BDawg said...

Based on the fact that you suggested a vegetarian burger, your request for a B-Judd review is denied. It may be reconsidered in the future.

Erjacksonic said...

It wasn't vegetarian...it was organic. Organic buffalo MEAT. So consider your ruling overturned on appeal (that's right lawyer man, I went there).

What did you think I meant...buffalo mozzarella?

Pat said...

Hmmm. I figured it was "buffalo" as in "buffalo wings" and for some, not clear reason, I thought the Greenhouse Grill was a vegetarian place. I really don't know how I drew that conclusion, I think I read the comment as I was leaving the office for lunch.

What you don't know is that the court reviewed your case and denied certiori. Well, we will consider it remanded. I don't think I would want to eat the whole Judd, but I could eat part of one and review it.

BDawg said...

ohmagosh, I posted as pat.

Erjacksonic said...

I think Judd's has normal-sized burgers, in addition to their monster. But just take the family up there and split the big one 3-4 ways.

My recollection is that the Judd is a pretty decent burger, though that tends to be overiden by anguish all too soon.