Monday, August 22, 2011

Last Week of Freedom

Today was M's very first day of school and she was more than ready and very excited to start kindergarten. She's in the same class as one of her best friends and everyone tells us her teacher is the best. The first thing she did when she woke up was take her backpack into the living room and make sure it was still packed and ready to go.

I walked her into her classroom and she went straight to her desk and was ready to go. No sad goodbyes, hesitant moments, or anything. She just said "Bye Mom!" and didn't even watch me go. I'm happy that she wasn't scared, but it was also a little sad to see how she is starting a phase of life where she doesn't need or want me to be with her all of the time. I'm looking forward to seeing how much she is going to learn and grow over the next year.
M loved her first day. I haven't gotten all of the details yet but I have learned they had a gingerbread man treasure hunt, recess, a snack, and she sits by a boy named Hunter who always wants to take a turn. I'm sure there will be many more stories to come.

We tried to fill last week with a lot of fun activities as it was M's last week before officially starting school. Yesterday we took a drive through the mountains and stopped at an overlook to stretch our legs and take a few pictures.

M planned ahead and brought her paleontologist goggles (thanks Aunt Cori!) and dug around a little looking for fossils.

A few scenery shots.
On Friday the girls and I went to the County Fair. It was very hot and muggy so we didn't stay as long as we had planned, but we did hit the main highlights M was looking forward to. The girls loved the pony ride. M was brave and rode alone since I had to walk by Vi.
I wasn't sure what Vi would think but she could not wait to get on and cried when it was time to get off.
Then we stopped by the tent hosting the reading program to turn in M's reading log for a free cotton candy and each of the girls received a free book. I printed off a reading log for M and she worked hard to read ten books and carefully print their titles on the log.
Brad got a chance to go backpacking in Zion's with some friends and had a great weekend hiking and biking in the desert.
We also squeezed in one more zoo trip with some friends before school started. It was a really casual trip, we didn't try to see everything, we just followed the kids around looking at what they wanted to see. Everyone's favorite part was the bird show we attended. We saw owls, parrots, eagles, chickens, doves, and M's favorite a Peregrine Falcon. The birds would swoop into the amphitheatre and fly just inches above the audience's head. It was really cool and M loves to tell everyone everything she learned about birds while we were there.
They played the Harry Potter theme as the owls flew in. It made me smile.

It was a fun week and I know M enjoyed it all. Now she's very excited about everything to do with school. Let's hope that enthusiasm sticks through the entire year!