Thursday, January 14, 2010

Snow Snow Snow!

This is the third time I have written this post and if Blogger eats it again then that's it - I give up.

After our first Green Christmas in Vegas, we took off for colder climates and went to Idaho to visit family and enjoy the snow. Morgan had been asking all December when it was going to snow, because Santa doesn't come until it snows, and was thrilled to see all of the fresh snow in my parents backyard.



We spent a lot of time hanging out with cousins and we even got to go to one of Aunt Morgan's basketball games. It was sort of surreal taking Morgan and Violet to my high school and hearing Morgan cheer "Go Skyline!" A little weird, but very fun.

Morgan with cousins Riley, Ezri, and Macie


Violet, Tanner, Morgan, and Baby Kate
That's Uncle Sam in the background holding Kate. We used to give him a hard time about the fact that he would one day be "Uncle Sam", but he seems to enjoy it.

I have been waiting to teach Morgan how to ski since the day she was born and this year it finally happened. We had been talking about for weeks before so she was very excited as we drove up to the hill. She loved being fitted for her boots, skis, and even her helmet. But, once we put the skis on she didn't seem nearly as interested. After ten minutes she asked if we could go inside for a snack. I took this as a bad sign that our day would be over, along with my dream of Morgan becoming a skiing prodigy.
While inside enjoying our chocolate milk and french fries, we were joined by Uncle Cory and Cousin Tanner, who was learning to snowboard. Morgan and Tanner talked things over for a while and decided to give it all another go. Once we got our skis back on I hauled Morgan to the top of the bunny hill, which is no small feat, rope tows are torture. We began with stopping and, to my surprise, Morgan picked it up immediately. Turns were not far behind and the second time down the bunny hill she was stopping and turning all on her own, with no help from me.
We found Kinley, Cory, and Tanner and Morgan went for her first ride on a chairlift. She loved every second of it, while I was convinced that she was going to wiggle herself right off the chair any second. But we all made it to the top in one piece and began the adventure down. Morgan was more just along for the ride on the hill and spent the entire time yelling "Woo-hoo! Look out, here we come!" and, of course, "Go faster Mom!"
She did an amazing job for her first day and I couldn't be prouder. The only time she got upset and cried was when we told her it was time to go home. She is a natural and I like to think that she gets it from me. I am thrilled that she had such a good time and loves skiing as much as her dad and I do. Now only three more years until we can get Violet on a pair of skis.

Morgan executing a perfect wedge stop.
Look at that form, kid's a natural!

Taking a break.
Tanner wrestling with a chunk of ice.
I think they called it a draw.
Morgan on her first chairlift ride.
Notice my arm trying to keep her from leaning too far forward and falling out.

Mom and Morgan on the 'big hill'
My dad, sister Kinley, and Me
My dad practically raised all of us at the ski hill so it is always fun when we get a chance to squeeze in a few runs together.
Morgan and Tanner:
The Next Generation
Pop giving Morgan a tow at the end of the day.
I love this picture.
We had many more adventures on our trip including Violet's Blessing, sledding at Great-Grandma Madsen's, and a lot of hanging out. We had an amazing time, but at the end of our trip we were excited to come home and see Daddy, who had to come home earlier.
Morgan on the flight home
Already a seasoned traveler, she knows how to fly right.

3 comments:

Kinley said...

It was fun having you all up here! Tanner is still asking if Morgan is at Nana's. But the new question has been when is Morgan getting here because you told him yesterday that you were coming back. He spent the rest of the day looking out the window wondering when you would get there. I reminded him that you had to get on an airplane to come and he just looked at me like- I realize this mom, I am being patient- and would tell me that Ali said they were coming. So I guess you have to come now! Tanner said so... and we can take them skiing again! We will put Tanner on skis instead of his board. Little kids skiing is too cute!

Natalie said...

Looks like fun! I'm impressed. I can't imagine Hannah managing on skis at all.

Cori said...

Of course, M would be a pro! This looks like such fun.