But the Congresional Budget Office certainly is.
There are a lot of places you could look to get some idea about the possible future of America's finances. Most of them are probably driven by some tinge of political agenda. Of the available sources, the CBO is probably the one most likely to "tell it like it is."
And, while I am not an economist, I'm not sure you have to be one to briefly look at these charts or read words like "unsustainable" and decide things don't look rosy for the long-term financial health of the nation.
What, you mean spending and printing money like it was going out of style has CONSEQUENCES?
4 comments:
So the part where is starts going up and up is bad right?
I don't think anybody in DC really cares beyond the next election cycle.
My lay-person reading of the report is this.
"If nothing changes we are in Big Trouble. If things change in the ways that have been suggested You Might As Well Move To Soviet Russia."
So, take your pick. I hear Siberia is beutiful for a few weeks a year. . .
Politicians only care up to the next election cycle because this is their job. The incentive for the politician is to get reelected. What really needs to change is public opinion on what is important so that it changes the politicians priorities. Unfortunately, I don't see reducing the debt becoming public priority #1 until we hit a complete dead end and are forced to face the problem head on, like California is facing now.
What bothers me about Democrat policies is they are unrealistic and unsustainable. Democratic policies are largely responsible for sinking the auto industry. By supporting unions and allowing them to become too powerful, GM and Chrysler couldn't compete directly with foreign companies. In response, they started making large trucks and SUVs so they wouldn't have to compete directly and that worked for a while. Then the SUV was villainized and the American companies were left with nowhere to go.
Anyway, I think it's time for a complete government refresh. Out with the old, in with the new. Term limits would be good too.
Post a Comment