Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Balloons and Bible Therapy

I have mentioned before just how awesome all of the students who worked for me at BYU Broadcasting are. Today they went above and beyond their usual awesomness and took it to an entirely new level. Last year, when I was still working at BYUB, they held an Ali Appreciation Day for no real reason (my guess is that it had something to do with that fact that we took advantage of any excuse to have a party and it had been a while since any one's birthday, but I digress). They brought in balloons, Diet Coke w/ Lime (they know me well), food, and a pie, since it was also National Cherry Pie Day. It was fabulous and we had a great time.

Today they reminded me that it was the one year anniversary of that party by showing up at the library with all the same stuff. Balloons, candy, Diet Coke, a card from everyone I used to work with, and of course a cherry pie! I was completely shocked, I've been gone from that job for eight months but they still care enough to do something special for me. They gave up their lunch break to come all the way to the library and hang out with me for a bit. How amazing are they? So THANK YOU Chelsea, Stephanie, and Blaine, you all made my week!!!

This is a picture of my department on my last day at BYUB.

In other news I have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist and it kills! Here's a picture. Mine looks exactly like this, I nice big bump on the back of my right wrist. I had another one removed from the same hand eight years ago. It was a day surgery and that cyst was fully removed and never came back, but neither did complete feeling of my hand. If I touch the side of my palm, opposite my thumb and directly above where the cyst was removed, it feels all tingly, like it's asleep. About a year later this one showed up on the back of my hand. It just came and went for a few years, then showed up two years ago and has been there ever since. It hurts from time to time, mostly just annoying, and I can't do push ups properly because my hand doesn't bend back far enough, but for the most part I've just lived with it. But now it has gotten to a point that can not be ignored any longer. I have to deal with it and one of the three treatment options.

1- Surgery for full removal I would be okay with this option except that I don't think it's really feasible with me being pregnant and all.

2 - Draining with a syringe Just what it sounds like, they stick a needle in and suck they liquid out. This is completely successful about 50% of the time, the other 50% of which it comes back.

3 - Bible Therapy The use of a heavy book to smash the wrist, popping the cyst and dispersing the liquid. I'm not joking, apparently this is how they used to deal with them and some people will still 'treat' them on their own this way.

Obviously I'm thinking I'll go with option #2. If it works permanently, great, if not hopefully it will take care of it for now and I'll get it surgically removed after this kid is born.

11 comments:

BDawg said...

I think that hand is attached to a corpse.

Natalie said...

I bet Brad has a old law school book he'd be willing to use. ;-)

Courtney said...

I've never heard of #3. My friend had a bad cyst just like that and she had to have surgery. She couldn't play tennis for months!

reabbotted said...

i have a persistent cyst on my left wrist, but it doesn't make my hand look like Quasimodo, like yours. Mine is more like a pea. It gets aggravated from cycling because of the flexing of my wrist. I've used solution #3 on it several times, except instead of a book, I use a can of corn. It helps for a while, but eventually it comes back again and I have to smash it all over again. I'd kind of like to see what would happen if you smashed your watermelon sized one. Do you think it's because of the pregnancy that it's gotten so big?

Ali said...

We do own several law books that would be more than adaquet for the job but, since I'm not much of a masochist, it ain't gonna happen.

Ali said...

And no, I don't think it's from the pregnancy. It's always there now and just varies between huge and a smaller annoying version. Mostly I'm just sick of it and finally decided to do something about it.

Chelsea and Bryan Haslam said...

Ali! I found your blog! haha. I'm glad that you enjoyed our visit. Of course we still appreciate you! Aliation day will live on forever :) but seriously, we really miss you over at the BYUB. it was so good to see you. and um, good luck with that cyst thing, sounds gnarly.

Kinley said...

I think the doctor should check the cyst for a heart beat- ya never know- maybe you are having twins!

Erica said...

I have a ganglion cyst on the underside of my left wrist. I had it drained once a couple of years ago but it came right back three months later. It comes and goes but right now I am in the same situation that you are... It kills every time I try to bend my wrist. There is a commercial here in LV for the Brown Hand Center... I have been contemplating calling them. I hope that you can get it drained and never see it again.

Kimberly said...

I'm glad I don't have this problem, because I would totally try to pop it on my own- stick it with a pin then squeeze- like a giant zit!

Anonymous said...

I also get these! You must have injured your wrist at some point (they say they occur after a trauma to the tissue occurs).

Apparently Bible Therapy is "out of vogue" because it tends to cause more tissue damage. I've never had mine drained but I'm tempted to.

I get mine on my left wrist and it makes bending the hand very difficult. For me, random activities will cause the cyst to burst which then makes the wrist sorer for a couple days, but then it won't return for awhile. Cartwheels are excellent for bursting mine... :) It puts stress, pressure, and weight right on the cyst. It hurts, but I don't have the guts to whack it with a big book so it's my compromise. Ugh, that sounds terrible!

Sorry you get these too! I had no idea they were so common and was totally freaked out the first time it appeared!