Saturday, January 17, 2009

Brad Reviews Everything

At the turn of the year, I decided to expand on my past "Burger Blogs" and start a series called "Brad Reviews Everything." It could also be called "Unsolicited Opinions."  It will continue to be food-heavy, to be sure. And by "food," I mostly mean hamburgers.

Burger King's Angry Whopper:

I am not a BK fan.  I usually eat at BK only if there is an absurd line at the place I actually wanted to go.  But, on a hunch, I figured that their Angry Whopper would really be a Grumpy Whopper, or a Passive Aggressive Whopper.  Most main-stream places are smart enough to not go very far on the spicy scale with food.  I was right, the Angry Whopper is only a medium-spicy, which is just fine by me.  The jalapenos on it provided some punch, but there were only 4 or so, making it a bearable and tasty heat rather than a mouth-scorcher.  So, for the first time ever, I recommend a BK Burger to anyone who likes a little kick in their food.*

Xbox 360

In a fit of juvenile indulgence, I bought a refurbished Xbox 360 for Christmas.  I admit this with a small degree of shame, no doubt.  I paid 150$ for a model with a 60GB harddrive and an HDMI port, which would currently retail for $300.  The catch might be that mine only has a 90 day warranty, and the Xbox 360 is plagued by problems.  But, hey, I like to live on the edge.  

I don't hesitate to say that I think the 360 is the clear winner of the high-stakes video game console wars.  Wii is the other winner.  But the 360 offers a large library of fun games, and can serve as a powerful media hub.  It syncs with my laptop through our network and allows us to stream media from our laptop to our TV.  And, because our laptop has Media Center and a TV tuner, we can use it as a DVR and pause, record, and re-watch live TV.  Oh, I forgot to mention the ability to "rent" movies through the 360.  For a fair-ish price (more than Redbox), you can download and watch a substantial number of new and old movies, many available in High Definition. 

The downside to the 360 is the additional expenses.  For instance, it does not come with any wireless networking capabilities.  And the proprietary Wi-Fi dongle for it is $100.  I've worked around that by loading up a router with some open-source firmware (DD-WRT) and using it to grab our wireless network signal and pass it on to the 360's integrated ethernet port. Cost $30 to buy the router, firmware was free, then probably an hour of tinkering to get it working.  You also have to pay to use Xbox Live, their online gaming service.  I paid 38$ for 13 months, or about $3 a month.  You can spend as much as you like on games, but I've elected to buy used games that are usually a year or two old and cost $5 - $30, depending on popularity.  You get the idea, though. 

So why not the PS3? Sticker shock, for one.  And an inability to identify instantly which games on the PS3 I would want to play.  I am sure they are there, I just didn't/don't know about them.  Blu-ray might be a value-adding feature for many, but I don't have an HD TV, so it was not appealing. 

Sundance Ski Resort

I've been twice this season. It is about 20 minutes from Provo to the slopes.  Sundance is interesting because of the lift configuration.  One lift takes you to the top of the mountain. And then down the other side. Then you can ride one of two other lifts up a mountain kind of behind the one the first lift went over. The result is that most of the runs or a little on the short-side.  Terrain is pretty limited, too.  Your options are essentially wide groomed runs or steeper moguled trails.  They do have a rails/jumps park, but we didn't check it out. 

So here is the recomendation. If you aren't in great shape, don't ski more than once or twice a year, or simply don't want to ski one of Utah's Big Mountain resorts, then Sundance is the place for you.  During the week, the place is pretty much empty.  The scenery is second to none, and the snow has been just great both times I've gone. 

*comming soon: 5 Guys Burgers And Fries = Best Fast Burger Ever

3 comments:

Erjacksonic said...

Sony released a chart not too long ago that tried to argue that, when all of the 'additional expenses' were taken into account, the PS3 is actually extremely cost competitive. Here's what they said:

PS3 = $399 (with 80GB HD)

XBox = $199 (for Arcade)
+ $100 for WiFi dongle (PS3 has this built-in)
+ $100 for 60GB HD
+ $50 per annum for online (PSN is free)
= $450

Plus PS3 plays Blu-Ray. The wifi dongle is more of a luxury than a necessity, I think (though the 360 is the only of the 3 next-gen consoles not to have it built in), but if you plan on using XBox Live for at least 2 years, then the 360 Pro bundle and the entry level PS3 are the same price. Unless you score sweet, cut-rate deals on Live at Buy.com...then you can stretch it out to 3 years.

But, as you note, the 360 has other qualities (like the Windows media hub functionality and game library) that help make up the difference. Plus I don't like Sony and their stupid proprietary media.

BDawg said...

Sony has a legitimate point. But they take the lamest way of getting there.

Xbox Pro w/ 60gb HD = $254 from Dell.com
+ $30 for 1 year of Live from Wal-mart, Buy.com, or Amazon.com. (This appears to be the prevailing price now.)
= $284

That is, I believe, as far as most people will want or need to go. Some people (like me) will need some wi-fi solution. Adding in the full $100 for the proprietary dongle makes the 360 plus a year of Live as much the PS3. . . and you aren't playing Blu-Ray on a 360. The PS3, according to their commercials, does some video down-load stuff, so I suppose a value argument for the PS3 is pretty strong, assuming you need Wi-Fi, and especially if you want a Blu-Ray player.

I'd say the 360 wins on game selection, but that is hard to say. The PS3 has a couple very well reviewed exclusive titles (Metal Gear Solid, for instance). Most people feel that for games available on both consoles, the 360 versions look a little better. But that is really splitting hairs, as both look stellar.

I DARE you to buy an HD-DVD add-on for your 360. You can find them bundled with several HD-DVDs for cheap. . . but you had better really love the movies you get with it.

Erjacksonic said...

There are a couple of other significant Sony franchises, including Resistance (very Gears of War-esque), Killzone, God of War, and LittleBigPlanet.

I really enjoyed God of War for the PSP, and I can only imagine it's even better on PS2/PS3. LittleBigPlanet looks very, very cool, and is probably the PS3 game I would most like to play. But I would rather play Halo with you and the 'Bune guys than LittleBigPlanet alone.

My DVD player works just fine, thanks.