
I was going to start a whole blog dedicated to my review of burgers. But then Ali told me I could review one burger a week here, and that is about all I planned on doing. I'll be sure to label all of my burger blogs with the label "burger blog," so you can find them when trying to decide.
This weeks burger: Chili's Mushroom Swiss.
Let me start by saying that I expect a hamburger from a real restaurant to be significantly better than something I could get at a fast food place. At about 8 bucks for the Mushroom Swiss with fries, this was really a pretty reasonable deal. I would spend that much for a combo meal at Carl's Jr. or Jack in the Box, so maybe I shouldn't have expected this to be spectacular. In a word, the Mushroom Swiss disappointed.
I like mushroom burgers. A good mushroom burger will really taste life a fine steak. This was just a hot mess. The shrooms came off dry and quite flavorless. The swiss was also a disappointment. It never got hot enough to melt adequately, leaving a piece of swiss that was drained of its good oils, kind of yellow-y, and not firmly affixed to the beef patty.
I was pretty excited when they asked me how I wanted my burger done. Sure, I don't want to eat raw ground beef, but over-cooked burgers are a big problem. I ordered medium-well, expecting to get a moist patty with light-gray innards. What I got was a crispy outside (which is fine) with a dry, dark inside. The beef was kind of crumbling as I ate it. It wasn't horrible, but why ask me how I want my burger done if you are just going to over-cook it anyway?
I think one of the more over-looked components of a burger is the bun. A good bun can go a long ways to either covering up other problems or just making a good burger better. This bun had potential, but the presentation was all wrong. It was squished, soggy, and I think they might have put the top bun on the bottom! Other than that, it was pretty good bread.
The other toppings were sufficient, I guess. I was a little disappointed that there was only one tomato slice, and the tomato was clearly over-ripe. I'm not a big tomato fan anyway, so I pulled it out after eating about half of it.
If the burger comes with a side, I'll discuss it, too. This came with fries. They were bad enough that I only ate half of one then offered the rest to my daughter Morgan. Morgan uses fries as a utensil to get "dip it" (ketchup, mayonaise, ranch, fry sauce etc.) to her mouth, and they worked well for that. But they were medium-cut fries that were under done and un-seasoned. Those kind of fries that kind of hover between 'steak fry' and 'crispy fry' but wind up being the worst of both worlds.
Maybe I just got a lower-quality Chili's Mushroom Swiss. I might have to try another one, maybe next year, to see if they can do it better. But I would rate Carl's Jr. Six Dollar Portobello Mushroom Swish burger AND Wingers Mushroom burger well ahead of the Chili's variety. . . and I think it goes without saying that neither Carl's Jr. or Winger's aren't exactly 5 star restaurants.
Alison thinks I should have a standard rating system. I might develop one, but for now I will just explain the relative qualities/ranking of a burger. I'm hesitant to go with a standard rating because there is so much variety in the burger world. How do you compare something like a Teriyaki Pineapple burger to a Jalepeno Cheddar melt? Also, I'll try to take a picture of the burger I actually eat. The above is just from the Chili's website . . . it looks better than my burger.
9 comments:
Because I find that chain-restaurants have a real problem with quality control and consistency, I'll include the restaurant location for chains.
The Mushroom Swiss I reviewed came from the Chili's in Orem, Utah. I should also mention that this Chili's was "on notice" with Ali and I for several years. It may now be "dead to us". I guess the appetizers we got were good.
Chilis is on my banned list. I ordered some baby back ribs from Chilis the last time we were there. The sauce they put on top was good, but the ribs themselves were meatless and dry. Worst ribs ever. I like the burger review idea though. I too enjoy a burger about as much as anything. I'm with Alison on the standard rating system. I need a way to quickly peruse the burgers and how they were rated. Perhaps you could have a scale for the bun, one for the patty, and one for overall taste.
Katie and I have thought about starting a food review blog for the Salt Lake area. We would both review it so you could get the perspective from both the guy and the girl. We're pretty lazy though.
Chili's must be doing something right ... it seems like everyone that eats at Chili's is disappointed, and yet, we all keep going back for more.
As a burger side note: I was driving home from Provo to Salt Lake and saw a billboard for a "5 Guys". I'm not sure when exactly "soon" is, but they are coming to town. It would be a good one to review. While you are in IF, you should review a Scotty's burger, a Big Judd, and a burger from the old Blue Room by Tauphaus Park. If you have a chance to get to those (especially a Blue Room burger) I'd appreciate it.
The problem with rating systems in such a situation is that may be prone to rating inflation since the later burgers have a greater amount of context than the previous ones. But it would be nice if you can figure it out.
Hey Brad, Fun idea! Congrats on your summer internship! I hope you enjoy it! I just wanted to put my two cents in for your burger review. You'll have to be sure to review Burger Supreme (when you're back in Provo obviously) and Red Robin--is there one in IF? We have been so disappointed that we are in a major college town & the burgers here STINK! What do the 80,000 + football fans eat when they are here--oh, yeah, they all just get drunk. The Hamburgers at the tail gate parties are good, but we haven't been too impressed with the restaurants around here. The only restaurant we like the burgers from are Outback, but who goes to Outback for a burger!? And their fries are NASTY! We haven't tried the burgers at Culvers yet, but their Custard is AWESOME! I don't know if Culvers is in the West, so maybe Eric or Cori could do a review on Culvers! We're moving this week to Kansas & I cannot wait to have my free Birthday Burger at Red Robin (sign up online and you get a free burger for your birthday). Red Robin is the only place that has fry sauce out here--you have to ask for their onion ring sauce. And their fries are GREAT! I look forward to your reviews! Have a great summer! You too Ali!
I agree with Taylor about the Blue Room Burgers! Holy crap those are awesome! But I have to tell Shanda that I go to Outback and order a burger. As for a solution to the fries, you just ask the waitress to substitute mashed potaotes, a salad or a bowl of soup for no additional cost. It is a beautiful thing! Now I do have to say that I think I am somewhat a professional in this area because I don't eat steak, chicken, ribs, whatever, and always order the cheeseburger at restaurants, usually I spring for some bacon as well anyway, I love the Royal Red Robin, but it disappoints me on occassion, and I loved the Mad Max at Outback, but it is no longer available unfortunately. But good luck with this new quest, and I will be waiting for the ultimate burger's location!-- speaking of ultimate, the bacon ultimate classic at Jack in the Box is yummy too, but it is like 780 calories, you can literally hear the clotting of your arteries as you eat it, but totally worth it!
I can vouch for Kinley that she will order a burger at pretty much any restaurant ANYWHERE!
My favorite Kinley/burger story is when we were at Bubba Gump's in Hawaii. The following conversation took place between Kinley and the waiter, whose name was 'Fish'.
Kin: I want the Bacon Cheeseburger.
Fish: How would you like that cooked?
Kin: *Pause* Ummm, very nicely?
It's been almost 10 years since I've seen you guys, and I find myself commenting on your burger opinions. The internet is a strange place. I'll keep this critique in mind.
Nice to see you! Come by my blog sometime and make comments too, I can't promise anything exciting like mushroom burgers though...
Amanda!
Good to hear from you. I tried to check out your blog, but it says I need to be invited.
We should be spending alot of time in Idaho Falls, so maybe we can all get together sometime.
Post a Comment