We made it! All of Alison's books (aproximately 2 tons worth) are still in boxes, but everything else is unpacked and we are really likeing it here. We've been having a lot of fun, and I'm not totally sure why. Not having work and getting to buy furniture and stuff is a little like being on vacation. Here are some quick LV impressions.
It certainly is no Garden of Eden, but there is a lot more vegetation than most people seem to expect. The streets in and around our neighborhood are lined with trees. Pine trees, leafy-trees, shrubs, palm trees, ocasional cactus etc. Some are pretty big, most are smaller than you would find somewhere with more water. But it is a surprisingly green place. Our little yard has been nice.
The first couple days were very hot. 109 and a little more. "Dry" or not, that is hot - no denying it. But today was only like 103. I stood outside talking to a neighbor for about 45 minutes and afterward thought "you know, for 103, it isn't too hot today to go for a walk or even ride a bike." Sure enough, we see people riding their bikes, walking, jogging, etc., all morning and all evening. I'm not going to try and convince anybody that there aren't some hot, uncomfortable days (months?), but by-and-large I think the weather is going to be fine. We are getting a lot of haze from the California fires, that has been my biggest complaint.
If you think of the Strip when you think of Las Vegas, you will be dissappointed when (when - not if!) you visit us! Driving in on I-15 you see billboards for un-savory places and activities, but once you get past that you would think you are in San Diego. We live close to some nice shopping and dinning areas that are pretty reasonably priced and lots of fun. I told Val that we plan on putting together some sort of incentive for people who visit us. Details are forth-comming, but right now I think a visit to either "Claim Jumper" or "Cheesecake Factory" are being considered. You could go to either in just about any big city, but they are lots of fun and both very tasty.
Finally, I love living in a house. We liked Provo, but sharing walls with people wasn't ever fun. A few years ago we had some horrible neighbors, but mostly we just lived around other newly-wed BYU students. But even those types can watch loud movies past my bed time or decide to cook Korean Food every day, all day. Nothing wrong with Korean food, but it has very strong odors. Our little yard has already hosted a couple soccer games. A garage is nice, too!
Thanks to everyone for their help, especially Rick, Sam, and Emma. We wouldn't have made it without you, and we all loved getting to see y'all. There will be more updates soon with pictures and food reviews, so stay tuned.
6 comments:
Thank you for refilling the carpet cleaning soap supply . . . Pat cleaned some of her carpets this week - I am tackling the stairs later today. Hope it worked well for you!
So when (WHEN, not if) I come to visit, I can't cook Korean food? Come on, I know you want your house to smell like fermented spicy cabbage.....yum, Korean food.
Glad you guys made it! Mom showed me pictures! Looks like a great house and Morgan's room is cute! I like the wall decals- they conveniently matched everything you already had! Sweet! I am excited to see it in a couple of weeks!
Glad you guys made it to Vegas! I'd love to see pics of your place!!
Glad you made it! Wish we could come visit. Maybe someday.
Looks like fun! I bet it is so nice to have your own yard!! I agree with the Korean food, we had the best Korean neighbors, but I was always very grateful that I wasn't pregnant while we lived in our apartment because when they would cook the smell made me gag. I LOVED my Scentsy burner on those days! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Post a Comment