Tuesday, August 11, 2009
I hope this wasn't on the teleprompter. . .
I would describe myself as a health reform skeptic. I think things could probably be better than they are now, although I don't think we are that bad off currently. But I shudder to think of the government controlling a health insurer. It stinks of waste, taxes, and wealth re-distribution. Is any reform socialism per se? No, but it would take a carefully crafted plan to allay most libertarian-minded people.
And, dear God, I don't want going to the doctor to be like visiting the Post Office, or to be part of a program that struggles like the Post Office. On a Constitutional note, the US Gov't has mandated monopoly on the delivery of mail - you need congressional approval to compete with them. Another way of putting it is that Fed-Ex and UPS exist at the pleasure of Congress. I hope THAT isn't what President Obama was trying to say. . . that your private insurance will exist as long as Congress deems it convenient.
An my sympathies to the 13 year old at Obama's meeting you mentioned the "mean signs" that protesters confuse her with. Wow. If you had to guess which group is "orchestrated," as Liberals accuse the angry "mobs" of being, which would it be? I guess Tiny Tim on crutches asking if he could see the doctor before Christmas would have been too obvious.
5 comments:
So I'm getting pretty interesting in healthcare reform, but I haven't followed the proposed bills as much.
I don't know if you would be interested, but a friend in podiatry school and I are hoping to stage a meet-up (I am hoping we'll call it a "summit") to discuss healthcare reform.
We're gathering reports and articles about various related topics and sifting through them to try to give folks a baseline of information and then having a discussion.
Would you have any interest in teleparticipating?
I seriously considered reading the largest of the bills going through.
If I am going to be part of a "summit," maybe I will. When are you thinking the Summit would happen?
We haven't pinned down the date, but should be within the next two weeks. When do you start makin' bacon?
I think our main goals are to gain an understanding of healthcare economics and consider various reforms, not just those proposed. If the bill has a summary, that's what I'd read. ;-) Or CBO reports on the bill.
We'll probably be in the middle of a move or I'll be starting work. I start the day after labor day, we will be moving about 10 days before that.
How bout I just read the minutes from the Summit and consider myself informed?
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-DH7qq7OjJO8/porky_pig_classic_thats_all_folks_large/
See any similarity?
Post a Comment