Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reason number 12,462 Why I Could Never Be President

I am a horrible gifter. Just like Obama.

Oh, man. I really feel for Obama. Can you imagine the awkwardness?

Obama: Wow, this pen holder was really carved from the wood of an anti-slavery ship? Indeed, a ship related to the one from which the Resolute Desk was carved? So this pretty much is a priceless and unique item that manages to simultaneously remind us of our shared history and, now that it is in the possession of the first black President, demonstrate how we have progressed forward? I'm speechless. . . 

Brown (holding wrapped DVD set): Yes, I thought it an appropriate token given the signifigance of your historic presidency. The United Kingdom would be honored if it finds a place in the White House! Really, though you didn't have to get me anything (goes to open DVD set). . . 

Obama: Uh, you know, I'm not really sure now is the time for gift opening! Why don't you wait till you are headed home. I think there is something else we are getting you, too. (Brown continues to unwrap). 

Brown (examining DVD set): Oh. Movies? This is. . . great! I love (reading from box) Starsky and Hutch? Yeah, awesome (feigning delight). How perfectly. . . American. . . 

Obama: Yeah. . . yeah. We just saw it at Target and thought of you. And, you know, I really became a fan of The Godfather during college.  You've got a DVD player in your jet, right? You put on some movies, it keeps the kids quite during flights. But, if you don't like it, we have a gift receipt (reaches into pocket for reciept).

Brown: Oh, heavens, no! We will keep it, really we will. You got it at Target, though? (thinks to self about Target return policy). Are there many of those in the D.C. area? (wonders what he could get with $20 of store credit at a Target. Maybe they have a Taco Bell there. . .). 

4 comments:

Erjacksonic said...

Haha! Nice work, BDawg. You have a comedy career ahead of you yet.

BDawg said...

I can't take credit for this. These jokes tell themselves when you get headlines like that. I'd imagine a google search would turn up even funnier scenarios.

Taylor said...

At least get Blueray(TM)! It's clearer, sharper, and "testosteronier."

But...with this economic crisis, at least the White House is clamping down on expenditures somewhere...It's a start.

BDawg said...

Do you think the DVD's have the correct region code for England? I'm pretty sure england is a Region 2 country, and the USA is Region 1.