Friday, January 9, 2009

New York City on New Year's Eve! Who doesn't want to be there? Oh yeah - ME, because it's freaking freezing!!!

My mom likes to travel, but she doesn't like to travel alone. So when she decided to go to NYC for New Year's she decided to take my grandma. But Grandma couldn't make it, and since they don't let 8 month pregnant women on planes (Kinley), she asked me to come. Third choice, right here! But I'm not offended, I got a free trip to NYC! Kacey and her friend, Shawn (a girl), went out there the day after Christmas so Mom and I flew out on the 30th to meet them.

Here are some pictures of of our adventures.

Central Park
The Boathouse Restaurant
I will definitely have to check it out someday.

I was getting artsy with the camera.

Mom on a path in Central Park


Me, Mom, and Kacey at the "One Fine Day" Fountain


Literary Lane
Because, c'mon - it's me!


This was kind of funny because we found posters for the three shows we saw all lined up together.
We saw Mary Poppins, The Little Mermaid, and Wicked.
All were good, Wicked was amazing!


Ellis Island


On the ferry
Mom, Shawn, Kacey, and me


Getting artsy again.
A view of the Statue of Liberty from inside the main building on Ellis Island.


The main hall at Ellis Island
This is where all of the immigrants came and lined up to register to come into the US.


A bird.
I was getting a little bored waiting for the ferry.


Kacey and Shawn at the Statue of Liberty.

These next few pictures are Mom and me trying to take a self-portrait with the statue behind us.
Attempt #1

Attempt #2

Attempt #3


Mom and me with the guy that designed the statue.
He was hanging out in the gift shop chatting it up with everyone.


Kacey, Mom, and me with the skyline behind us.


Me and the skyline


Mom, Shawn, and Kacey on the ferry again.


Me and Mom at Wicked.
The girl playing Glinda is named Allie. I think that was a good sign.
Wicked really was just awesome.

This is on the front step to Trinity Church. I think it's hilarious how they're just like "Yeah, and Prince Philip was here too - somewhere. I dunno."

With a financial advisor for a mom, of course we had to stop at Wall Street.

Lincoln Center
The biggest highlight for me was going to Lincoln Center and seeing the NYC Ballet perform "The Nutcracker". It was BEAUTIFUL! Just absolutely amazing, and a life-long dream come true.
Me and the Christmas Tree at Lincoln Center


Inside the lobby before the performance.


In the main lobby.
Some of you may recognize this from the final scene of "Center Stage".


Central Park again


The Frick Museum
If you're only going to one museum in New York, I suggest the Frick.
It was built as the private residence for the Frick family and is now a museum.
It's an amazing mansion, right across the street from Central Park. Mr. Frick was an avid art collector and his collection includes a Monet and a Degas, among many others.
This museum is great in that you get to see some amazing art and you get to peek into the world of the super-rich of New York at the turn of the century.

Mom and me

The Black and White Cookie.
If you don't get this picture then you don't watch enough Seinfeld.

New Year's Eve
This is the view of Times Square from our hotel window right at midnight. That mass of lights is the stage that Ryan Seacrest was standing on all night, if you were watching it on TV.
Quick story. NYPD shuts down Times Square and a huge perimeter surrounding it starting at about 4 pm on New Years Eve. Our hotel was inside of that perimeter and we were on the wrong side of the barriers. Long story short, we had a two-hour improvised walking tour of NYC in one-degree weather. It was COLD!!! We watched the rest of the festivities from the warmth of our hotel room.

The view of the ball from our window.
It cracked me up that the main ad right behind the ball was for a PBS Kids show!


Mom in Rockefeller Center.
I kept an eye out but no Alec Baldwin or Tina Fey. Who doesn't love 30 Rock?

This was awesome!!!
When we walked into the main reading room of the NYC public library this was sitting out in a display case.
One of the hand-writen "Tales of Beedle the Bard" by JK Rowling.
I never really thought I would ever get to see one of these. So cool!
The cover of the book which is hand-bound and inlaid was real emeralds and silver.
(Sorry, it kept flipping the picture and I just gave up)


Me in the library
It was a great trip and we all had a lot of fun.
New York is great, there's just so much to see and do. I've been there twice and I still have a list of things to go see 'next time'.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm getting sleepy, so I didn't read the whole post . . . got to the part 'bout no Tina Fey (my hero) . . . but you look really pretty holding that cookie.

Kylie said...

You look like you enjoyed your new camera. I'm so jealous, and a little hungry for a black and white cookie.

BDawg said...

I ate the black and white cookie. It did not make me ill, suggesting that I have achieved racial equality within myself. I'd like to thank President Obama for teaching all that such a union can work.