
25 years ago my mom braved the original toy craze and managed to come out on top with THREE Cabbage Patch Kids for me and my sisters, all of which we still have. Thank you Mom!
Good Luck to all of you obsessive compulsive parents that will be out braving the malls and toy stores for this year's Toy of Choice!
11 comments:
Hurray for Cabbage Patch dolls!
The story of Ali's Cabbage Patch Doll Christmas is incomplete without the inclusion of one of her sister's excited reaction to getting a doll. She couldn't contain herself.
I remember wanting a "Crimp and Curl" Cabbage Patch doll so bad one year. When I walked out Christmas morning there was a doll but when I tried to curl it's hair it just fell limp. It was a Kiss'n Cabbage Patch doll. To make it worse all my friends got the Crimp and Curl doll that year. I've never gotten over it :(
My mom wasn't trying to get cabbage patch dolls, but happened upon one (the last one) in a store one day. I think she got multiple offers of people wanting to buy it off her. The doll went to my sister, and she gave me a doll she worked hours on making. I, of course, cried because I didn't want a homemade one, I wanted a Cabbage Patch doll.
Is there a happy ending to either of these stories? Like maybe now Natalie has the homemade doll and cherishes it as a heirloom and keep-sake?
But, honestly, I think disappointment is one of the real lessons that Christmas teaches kids. Can't have it all, kid!
Another year my mom got two cabbage patch dolls, and the one she gave to my sister had a little tuft of hair on its' head and mine was completely bald. That made me upset too. I also remember an incident on Easter when my sister and I got two different stuffed rabbits, and I really wanted hers. So really, I was just spoiled and ungrateful, and always wanted what my sister got. My poor Mom.
Fortunately, I also remember loving both dolls, and I still have the bald cabbage patch (her name is Cora Grace) at my parent's house. The homemade doll (Lisa) may still be there too, but I'm not totally sure.
Maybe the moral of these stories is that even the brattiest of children can turn into a fine adult?
Actually, your stories are very typical of the stories I hear/remember of ANY sisters. I hope the rest of our children are boys!
Kinley had a Crimp n Curl Cabbage Patch. That was some creepy hair. But for the most part it did crimp and curl!
That makes me sad all over again.
Kylie, I still have the crimp and curl doll if you would like to come over and play with it at Christmas!
That would just make the pain worse because it wouldn't be mine.
Post a Comment