Now, I don't have much time to read about scientific methods. I read about new technology. But I came across this article by the late Michael Crichton (died election day, so you might not have heard). It is facially about Global Warming, but substantivly about the political process, society, and the erroding integrity of science. Long, but well worth it if you have a few minutes to think.
If you didn't know, Crichton was an M.D. in addition to being a fun author.
Here is a snippit:
"Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus.
There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period."
There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period."
4 comments:
Have you read, "Mormon Scientist?" It's one of the best books I read this past year. So much of the same concept you have referenced here, and yet, in a completely different format.
I'd love to know if you've read it and your thoughts.
Haven't read it. Sorry! Maybe after I graduate. Or after the Bar. Or after the kids are raised. Sigh. . .
Wow, that is long. Finals are almost over though, and then some fun reading begins (in earnest).
I think after you retire you'll have more time...not very encouraging unless you are extremely patient...
Hey Mr. BDawg, sir,
I finally got around to reading the article. It was a great. One of my professors routinely attacked the science of global warming, and called the Nobel _Peace_ Prize for the IPCC and Al Gore the least deserved prize to date.
He loved to hear the gasps.
Post a Comment