I watched about the first 70 minutes of the debate. Then I needed to see if USF was getting upset and watched Utah beat Oregon State (and then storm the field?!).
But Sarah managed to NOT sound like Miss Teen USA. And given her recent appearances, it was all she needed to do. Heck, she even sounded like she knew what she was talking about most of the time. She's obviously not a political heavy weight, but it is kind of hard to think of her as "more of the same" like Senator Obama and Senator Biden want everyone to.
Nonetheless, I still think the election is Obama's to lose. So, just as we watch as 700billion dollars is spent on losing investments we will also get a President who is openly excited about wealth re-distribution and believes that we need to change the fundamentals of our economy. . . I'm just saying. . .
9 comments:
I disagree...I watched the debate, and I felt like Palin performed about as well as a VERY mediocre high school novice. She only really talked about one thing (Energy! Did you know she's the governor of Alaska?! And that Alaska has oil and gas!!!), and dodged almost every opportunity to showcase additional knowledge.
Yes, she exceeded expectation...which appear to have been so low that aside from quitting during the debate she would have met them. But the pundits afterwards saying that "she killed" and that she showcased an ability to serve as chief executive? Are you kidding?
It is pretty impossible to imagine her at the top of a ticket.
I would certainly stop short of saying "she killed it" or showed some special executive ability. But message repetition is the name of the game. Obama only talks about the struggles of middle class and "change," McCain only about his experience as a Maverick, Palin only about energy. The only time these people bother to talk about anything else is to point out how the opponent isn't part of their "message." (Obama to tell me McCain is the same as Bush, McCain to tell me Obama is inexperienced and party-line, Palin to tell whoever they should drill in Alaska).
And, besides, since when did debates have to do with substance? :(
Also, as part of the intellectual elite, we assume that you would look down on anyone with a folksy accent :)
I agree, debates usually aren't as candid and expressive (and UN-repetitive) as we might like, and that's true for all parties. BUT, I certainly felt like Biden (and for that matter Obama and McCain) showed much, much more of an ability to intelligently discuss a broad range of issues.
And what's a private university trained attorney doing calling me - a humble student of two large, public universities - part of the intellectual elite? That's like the hockey mom calling the puck black (or something).
I'm far to religious to be part of any elite group, yet alone intellectuals. Just ask Micheal Moore or Bill Maher. . .
Hahaha...nice dodge, but try and tell me with a straight face that BYU isn't the gateway to a very elite network of successful (and smart) Mormons. Or that there isn't also, say, an elite Jewish or Catholic strata.
I'm flattered that the perception is that BYU is a gateway to success. I'll let you know how it works out in, say, 10 years. I hope that is the case.
I think you'd find that there is a strata of Mormons above "BYU Mormons" that are just "Ivy League Mormons." BYU has really come into its own in the last 15-20 years, so maybe the BYU strata is more "elite" than it used to be, though. We'll see. . .
Her mannerisms get old in a hurry. I like folksy music, and I even say things like "darn tootin'" and "ah, scrud," but I try to reserve such language for lower-key moments.
If she could prove that she's capable of kicking it up a notch I would feel a lot better.
She obviously practiced a few lines quite hard. Why not practice "nuclear" while she was at it? I understand she's been on the "stage" for a month or so now, and I'm glad that she obviously wasn't gunning for the national spotlight.
But as far as debating goes, every time Biden just had to say "John McCain voted the same way" I thought to myself "Ah, scrud!"
"the key to success is low expectations . . . "
you stole that from my wedding vows!!
Post a Comment