
I'm forty-two pages into "The Audacity of Hope." Let me preface this by saying there is another 150 or so pages and a lot of time for Barack to say something. Also, let me say that I really do think law school has changed how I read. I have a hard time with most fiction now, for some reason, and if somebody is taking their time making a point, I get impatient. Also, I don't expect anybody coming to our blog to give particular weight to any of my political opinions, and would encourage all of you to read any of the candidates books. But I gotta call em like I see em. . .
The pages I've read so far have been either self-indulgent or entirely meaningless. Mr. Obama hasn't talked about policies as much as politics and himself. It is just off-putting to read a persons opinion of himself, even when that opinion is self-deprecating or confessional in nature. You shouldn't have to tell me what you are like, or even how you became what you are; it should be apparent from your behaviour and policies. I realize I am reading a book by Barack Obama. . . I just didn't expect so much of it to be about Barack Obama (maybe because Paul's book had nothing to do with Paul and everthing to do with policy?).
My only other observation is that he blames Republicans not only for their policies, which I would expect, but also for destroying the political climate and embittering and dividing America. Huh. Frankly, I've found it all pretty self-serving and irresponsible. Shouldn't the power of your message be sufficient to compel people to vote for you? Instead of telling me how evil-hearted Reagan and Rove have manipulated people with some sinister plot, why don't you explain how your policy will ensure everyone their constitutional rights? His comments about bitter people clinging to guns and religions made for a powerful sound bite, but his book says as much - it just takes him a whole chapter and 40 pages to explain it.
I'm almost certain Obama will be our next President. I've thought that ever since he won the nomination, and even awhile before (although I did think for awhile Mrs. Clinton might manage to spoil his chances). I also think his election will be something of a watershed for many social issues in America. But I am also only willing to consider a candidates character, judgment, and policies when deciding who to vote for. Obama hasn't done anything to hurt his character, but, so far, he also hasn't shown me any special judgment or sound policy. 150+ to go, however!
PS. I swear, this is a family blog, and we might even put up some pictures someday : P
The pages I've read so far have been either self-indulgent or entirely meaningless. Mr. Obama hasn't talked about policies as much as politics and himself. It is just off-putting to read a persons opinion of himself, even when that opinion is self-deprecating or confessional in nature. You shouldn't have to tell me what you are like, or even how you became what you are; it should be apparent from your behaviour and policies. I realize I am reading a book by Barack Obama. . . I just didn't expect so much of it to be about Barack Obama (maybe because Paul's book had nothing to do with Paul and everthing to do with policy?).
My only other observation is that he blames Republicans not only for their policies, which I would expect, but also for destroying the political climate and embittering and dividing America. Huh. Frankly, I've found it all pretty self-serving and irresponsible. Shouldn't the power of your message be sufficient to compel people to vote for you? Instead of telling me how evil-hearted Reagan and Rove have manipulated people with some sinister plot, why don't you explain how your policy will ensure everyone their constitutional rights? His comments about bitter people clinging to guns and religions made for a powerful sound bite, but his book says as much - it just takes him a whole chapter and 40 pages to explain it.
I'm almost certain Obama will be our next President. I've thought that ever since he won the nomination, and even awhile before (although I did think for awhile Mrs. Clinton might manage to spoil his chances). I also think his election will be something of a watershed for many social issues in America. But I am also only willing to consider a candidates character, judgment, and policies when deciding who to vote for. Obama hasn't done anything to hurt his character, but, so far, he also hasn't shown me any special judgment or sound policy. 150+ to go, however!
PS. I swear, this is a family blog, and we might even put up some pictures someday : P
4 comments:
Maybe that's something i can do with my "summer of george" . . . get interested in politics . . .
on second thought, nah.
Yeah, it is nearly as interesting as I thought it would be. I don't think there is much difference between one politician and the next.
I'm going to have to agree with you on at least a little bit of this post. I'm obviously an Obama supporter, so I picked up this book a few months back, thinking it would be responsible to read a book by the man who I was supporting for president. While I didn't disagree with a lot of the "content" to the point that you did, I didn't finish the book for the very reason you mentioned ... I got bored hearing about Barack talk about himself.
I guess when push comes to shove for me, I vote on issues and "current political character," for lack of a better way to put it -- not because I think someone's life story would be an interesting plot for a Lifetime Original Movie. I think I would have enjoyed this book more (and finished it) if it wasn't an election year and I didn't feel pressure to get something meaningful out of it.
PS - I'm holding you to the pictures promise.
That is a bold confession, Cori. I'm about to put up a new post because HE MADE A POLICY POINT.
Post a Comment