Austenland by Shannon Hale ****This one has been on my To-Read list for a while now and I’m happy I finally got to it. I actually listened to it on CD while driving to and from Idaho this weekend (I have found a new way to make those drives enjoyable and I really look forward to them now as ‘reading’ time!), and it is the first book that I have listened to without having read it first and I have to say I really like it!
The story’s about a woman in love with the Colin Firth version of Mr. Darcy and her aunt gives her a trip to a place called Pembrook Park, where people dress up and pretend it’s 19th Century England, to help her get over Darcy. The plots a little cheesy but the characters are all a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing what they were all going to do. There were a few giggles and romantic sighs that escaped.
If you’re an Austen fan it’s a really fun to see how she’s put all of these little references and plot lines in, but if you’re not it doesn’t matter. The story is cute and fun enough that you won’t get lost or not understand anything. And some of the best parts and when it goes through the list of Jane’s ex-boyfriends and explains how they all went wrong. Let’s just say there is something seriously wrong with boyfriend #10 and his other ‘relationship’. Tallyho!
Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman
**** and a 1/2This one also involves Austen, but not to the same degree as Austenland. Julie and Ashleigh are best friends and Julie is constantly getting pulled into Ashleigh’s many obsessions. Her latest being Jane Austen, which was actually Julie’s first. Ashleigh decides that they need to set out to find their Darcy and Bingley so she talks Julie into crashing the all-boys private school dance. There they meet Parr and Ned and the miscommunications and romantic hilarity begin! Two of the best characters are Samantha and Zach Liu, Julie’s neighbors. For some reason they cracked me up, especially Zach.
It is so stinkin’ cute!!! The plot is your typical Young Adult story but I had so much fun reading it! I’ve even gone back through and re-read a lot of the parts. And there really isn’t much to do with Jane Austen other than Ashleigh’s kick that sets it all off. It actually has a lot of Shakespeare reference with A Midsummer Night's Dream. It’s just funny, all of it. I can’t really pinpoint why, maybe it’s just my type of humor. I really thought about giving it five asterisks, but decided to go with four and a half. Who knows, maybe I’ll change my mind and bump it up later. But highly, highly recommended!
7 comments:
Shakespeare and Austen? Sign me up! I actually went to Target last night to by Enthusiasm, but they didn't have it. :(
I like Shannon Hale, but I find her stories a little slow at the beginning (worth the wait though), was this one?
I actually like this one a lot better than some of her other books. Not that I didn't like the other ones, I just liked this one better. A definite 'Should Read'.
I really like Shannon Hale's books but I have to say that Austenland wasn't my favorite. Once again Ali we choose sides (you-Edward me-Jacob, You-Austenland me-Goose Girl).
I'm glad that you listen to books while you drive. I do while commuting to work and I love it!
Actually I haven't read Goose Girl yet. I read Princess Academy, but I am on the list for Goose Girl from the library so there's still time that we could actually agree!
Ali- I just got Goose Girl back from my froend, so you can borrow it this weekend if you would like! You can also borrow Enna Burning! I don't have River Secrets though- I haven't even read it, but I plan too! I really like them!!!!!
Post a Comment