Because Alison is so on top of TV issues, we recieved our two, $40 vouchers for Digital To Analog conversion boxes early last week. We went to Wal-Mart and redeemed just one of them for a $50 RCA model. You can only use one voucher to buy one box, you can't use the two you to get a totally free box.
I plugged it in with high hopes that it would miraculously get me all of the available network stations using my rabbit ear antenae on top of the TV. Not exactly.
I do now get a great picture, comparable to cable or dish, and I do get many more stations, but it did not eliminate the need to mount my antennae outside. And there is no single antennae position that will get me all the stations. I am still jimmy-rigging the rabitt ears and they are not on top of the building, so maybe I am just being cheap.
It is a huge improvement, at any rate. I have been able to watch all of the CBS NCAA Games, some ABC NBA Games, and we get all of the local news. We used to just get Fox, and it was not a good picture. We also get KBYU, BYUTV, some channel called Create! also from BYUTV, and BYUTV-International (with Portuguese programming!) From what I see, only BYU has made signifigant use of the sub-channels. Most stations just have an HD signal on one and an SD signal on another sub-channel. There is one station that is broadcasting a Radio Station and another that only shows old black-and-white movies. It would be cooler if I had an HD TV and was getting free HD programming.
A Summary: Much Improved Picture, Improved Reception, More Channels, But Not A Miracle Cure for Antennae Adjustments.
6 comments:
Hey guys! I was just reading the madsen blog and came across the memory of Big Dawg at Carl's JR. It's definitely true, we were there as well. I think we even still have the pictures. It's funny I remember sitting on the side of the road watching people use our water bottles for the suburban and then meeting Big Dawg, but no recollection of Disneyland
Exactly!
Alison really did have to remind me when I went, she remembered because I shaved my head that summer and she was headed to Germany at the same time. My memories were so fuzzy, I would have guessed I was 8 when we went.
My other memory is when the trip was over we discovered that G-Ma Madsen had been sitting on a broken spring the whole trip!
If we took the trip now, we would take lots of pictures with our digital cameras and then put up slideshows and video on blogs and the memories would be memorialized forever.
Brad, I am interested in this antennae business. How do you get a voucher? And how did you install your antennae outside? This seems like a very cost effective way to view television!
Ali, your templates are cute, where are you finding them?!?
Val,
It is cost effective. . . but pretty limited.
Also, you (probably) don't need any Digital Converter Box for your LCD TV. I imagine it already has a digital tuner. I'll bring my bunny ears to Idaho Falls and we can see.
I get the templates from this website I found. There's a link under my blogs list, "Cutest Blog on the Block".
Post a Comment