Thursday, November 1, 2007

I Could Totally Fill in for the Striking Writers in LA!


I finally watched Spiderman 3 last night (Cut me some slack, it’s not easy going to see a movie with an almost-2-year-old).

It was good, but kind of weird too. The main issue being that there wasn’t really a main villain with any sort of motive. Harry was still on his Avenge-My-Father-By-Killing-My-Best-Friend kick, but that lasted all of 15 minutes until he looses him memory and becomes everybody’s best friend again. The he finally does remember and becomes all evil again at the end. Although, I really did enjoy the fight scenes between Harry and Peter, especially when Peter was evil-Peter and they were taunting each other. Lots of fun! The final scene where they fought Sandman and Goo-man together was really good too, they were definitely on to something with the duo-thing. So why in the world do they kill him at the end?!?!? So not cool.

Sandman (a.k.a Lowell from Wings) is just always in the wrong place at the wrong time. He accidentally kills Peter’s uncle then accidentally becomes “Sandman”. I think we’re supposed to sort of feel sorry for him because of his daughter but, truthfully, I just didn’t care. It was like they were trying to fit him into the story because they thought it would be cool. I guess the only purpose he really served was as a target for evil-spidey to go after. And then Peter forgives him and just lets him go in the end. I guess that’s nice he forgave him but the guy still killed your uncle and is robbing the city blind! He deserves to be in jail. That entire plotline was just so boring; it could have been taken out and would not have affected the movie much.

Edward the photographer was also a weird plotline. He’s just this rival photographer until the very end when he becomes Evil-Alien-Goo Guy. Did he even have an alter-ego nickname? And seriously, how religious can a guy be if he’s going to church to ask God to kill someone else? He obviously is not very familiar with the whole prayer process. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Topher Grace and he was a cool villain – once he finally showed up.

Here’s how I would have written the movie.

Eddie shows up as a rival photographer. The goo gets on Spidey in the very beginning and bonds to some of his powers (I think this was supposed to be understood about the goo and how Eddie became Spidey-like) and while he’s trying to get it off some gets on Eddie who is taking pictures. Eddie then becomes Evil-Goo-Man and the main villain of the movie. He runs around making people think Spiderman has gone evil for a while in the beginning. His overall goal will be to destroy Spiderman so he can be free to be evil and create chaos all over the city. Like he said “I like being evil. It makes me happy.”

The plot line with Harry can stay roughly the same (oh, and the cooking/dancing scene with MJ in the kitchen was cute) so they can have the friend-against-friend fights which were fun, but Harry wouldn’t die in the end. MJ plot stay the same as well, but no lab-partner girl, she’s just mad at Peter because he’s all about himself and Spiderman right now.

Sandman plot is gone.

Peter still gets the goo on him and goes all evil for a while, possibly omitting the 1950’s dance scene in the middle, but maybe not.

Mine is so much better because there is a defined villain and plot from the beginning! I really felt like there was just all this random stuff going on, and while cool, it didn’t really relate for most of the movie. They brought it all together in the end, and I was happy with the ending, but it just took forever to get there!

3 comments:

BDawg said...

BZZZZZ - WRONG!

Sandman was a great villain. In part because he was doing bad things but had a good soul. And the effects with Sandman made the movie better.

Harry dying at the end was, in my opinion, THE summer-shocker. Nothing even comes close, IMO. But I like Spider Man Movies.

The movie had a very high Cheezy factor. The dancing was a bit much and it was a little long for my liking. Three Villains is a bit much for one show, which probably contributed to the length.

The name of Eddie the villain is Venom . . . everyone knows that!

I think that the Villains in the Spidey Man series have gotten better with each episode. Goblin in the first one was very one-dimensional and his outfit was very, VERY Might-Morphin-Power-Ranger-like. It was hard to dislike him or take him seriously. Doc-Oc was just kind of underdeveloped.

Harry was kind of the star of SM III. I wish they had focused more on him, I guess and less on the other two.

Still shocked Harry is dead. How do they go forward with no Harry?

Ali said...

Speaking of the striking writers - I fully support them. They absolutely should receive a cut, and a large one at that, of the DVD and online sales of their work. It's ridiculous that the studio's would even think that they shouldn't.

I hope they get everything they are asking for.

BDawg said...

Nah. If an individual writers content was that great, they could ask whatever price they want.

The truth is that writing scripts is easy and they are pretty much inter-changeable. One author doesn't really produce better scripts than another, which is a crumby bargaining position.

"Pay me more for my script or you can't have it!"

"All right. That guy right there is willing to take 1/10th for his script, and after we market it his movie will make as much as your movie."

Tough break. . .